Elutec Academy is a Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) UTC. It offers a STEM focused curriculum for students who, at the end of sixth form, want to progress onto a STEM focused degree at University or an Apprenticeship.
We recognise that increasingly students also wish to study an arts based subject alongside their STEM subjects. At KS4 this is offered through the inclusion of GCSE Media, and at KS5 through the inclusion of the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ).
At each key stage, the curriculum is enhanced by working closely with the Elutec Academy sponsors, Ford and UCL, as well as other local and national employers. Students are provided with an employer engagement experience through the completion of projects related to their Engineering subject specification. The opening of UCL PEARL in 2021, based in Dagenham, will provide Elutec Academy students with additional opportunities to work with employers, gaining a valuable insight into the world of work, preparing them for their next steps.
The Elutec Academy is designed for students who are passionate, and have a desire to excel in Engineering, Maths and Science subjects, and who wish to progress onto a STEM degree and or apprenticeship.
Our focus is on educating and preparing young people for the next stage of their educational career, whether that is Apprenticeships, University or the world of work. Our KS4 and KS5 curriculum is designed in collaboration with industrial partners and sponsors and this enables us to deliver the skills and qualifications that are required by industry and top universities.
Students are provided with regular opportunities to engage in the practical elements through timetabled engineering workshop and science practical lessons.
Whilst the focus on a STEM curriculum is paramount to our values, a broad and balanced STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and maths) curriculum is a vital component of lifelong learning. Our aim is to facilitate academic success as well as creativity and ingenuity throughout the extended school curriculum to support and ensure excellent destinations for all of our students.
Key Stage 4 (KS4)
Students will study a STEM focused curriculum that has been designed in partnership with the sponsors and is geared towards ensuring that students are able to progress on to the sixth form and then move into an apprenticeship or university. Students will study the core subjects of English Language, English Literature, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, Design Technology and Media, alongside non-examined subjects PSHE, Accelerated Reading and PE.
Key Stage 5 (KS5)
There are five pathways at KS5 that include a STEAM and STEM focus:
• Pathway one offers a purely A Level pathway to university and or apprenticeship. Students select three of the following A’ Level subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Media and English Literature.
• Pathway two offers the Extended Diploma in Engineering (equivalent to three A levels) as a pathway to university and or apprenticeship.
• Pathway three offers the Diploma in Engineering (equivalent to two A levels) plus A’ Level Maths as a pathway to university and apprenticeship.
• Pathway four offers the Diploma in Engineering (equivalent to two A levels) as a pathway to university and apprenticeship.
• Pathway five offers a Level 2 Engineering Certificate with possible resit of GCSE Maths and/or English Language. (Only available in year 12). This course offers a pathway to a further education course or to a Level 3 Diploma in Engineering at Elutec Academy sixth form.
All Level 3 students study the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) in Year 12.
In addition, there is a compulsory extended curriculum of Engineering Workshop, Science Practical, Sport and PSHE.